Monday, August 07, 2006

Closer ...

Saturday tournaments were a thing of the past for me, having played regularly at cash games and being reasonably more succesful at them. But I decided to try again, mainly because of getting tips from Poker Pond dude via email. He gave very sound advice to me which I read a couple of hours before the tourney began. I had to admit that I was a bit low on confidence since I had played a cash game and did not fare as well as before. I was seated with more than 6 regular high stakes and very good players. I was outmatched from the get-go and left with 200 left from my bankroll, about 10% of my buy-in. But alas, today was a new day and tournaments would play out differently ......right?

I arrived at the ACF with my supportive and optimistic girlfriend an hour before the tournament began and chanced upon some familiar faces, regulars at both the cash and tourneys. I watched a cash game wherein a guy who was definitely on tilt literally gave all his money to one player in three consecutive hands. "Hope that doesnt happen to me", is what I thought.

As my girlfriend and I were sitting near the registration area, all the regular good players had registered. It was quite nerve-racking to see final table regulars, who always had loads of cash, signing up to a tournament that featured unlimited rebuys. I tried to stay focused on the strategies I learned and kept fear out of my head. When the tournament did begin, I was seated with a 2 familiar faces, one of which won the tournament last week. That was not a confidence booster at all.

First decent hand I got was a QJ offsuit. Limped in with the big blinds when the flop paired my Jack. So I checked, when another guy bet 200, everyone folded except for me. The turn showed a flush for anyone who was holding suited clubs. So I naturally checked and so did the other guy. River was a rag and I checked again, thinking he wanted a trap. He checked as well. He was holding a J2 offsuit and I took the pot. Did not play aggressively because the table was full of check-raisers and I never got a strong hand. Everytime I would limp in with a suited connectors, someone would bet over the top, so I would fold.

Right before I got the big blinds, I was asked to transfer tables for balancing and so I did. Someone at the table wished me luck and I told him the same. I realized I needed it because 3 guys at the table had more than 5000 in chips and another guy kept going all-in. This was obviously a strong table with aggressive players. I was down about 100 from 1500 and still had an opportunity to make a stab at the final table.

I got a pair of fives and bet 300 at the pot. One guy stayed and flop came out 4-6-7. I had a straight draw so I bet 300 and this guy stays again, rather reluctantly though. Turn is a rag so I bet 500 again, which the other guy calls. River is a 5 so I get my trips and push all-in, and the guy folds. I felt good about the way things turned out and was reasonably confident now.

A couple of hands later I got pocket Jacks and bet 600. Two people stay and Im a little nervous now. Flop comes out 7-Q-9. Dammit! I bet 600 again to maintain my image of confidence and the other guy pushes me all-in for all my chips. While Im contemplating this big decision, he shows his hand, thinking I have already called. I see his Q-10, and just smile. I would have folded anyway, he just gave me another reason. Guy beside me asks if I was holding AK and was worried I wouldnt hit any of them. I told him my hand and he said good fold. I hope so, that fold put me back to square one. I was now left with two moves: fold or all-in.

I got an A8 suited and pushed all-in with my 600+ in chips. Two guys called and the flop missed me completely. Both guys check. Turn is another rag so first guy bets 500, which second guy calls. River is an Ace and Im a little relieved. First guy checks, second guy bets 500, and first guy folds. I show my A8, and he shows his A8. Split pot! I was a little up now and little happy. Little later, I get a Q10 offsuit and push all-in again, and get called by 2 guys again. Flop comes out 9-K-K. Waaaah! Not good at all. I was ready to leave. First guy checks and other guy bets 500, and first guy fold again. I show my Q10, and he shows his Q10. Guy beside him exclaims that no card would un-split the pot. So we do once again. The funny thing about it was it was the second time a guy on seat 8 and myself split the money the guy on seat 7 put in the pot.

I got me a Q2 suited on the big blind and flop showed 2-4-4. Everyone checks, and I push all-in. Everyone folds and I show my 2 only which they all laugh at. I said I had to. Guy beside me says I got a 2 as well. I asked his kicker and he said a 9, I told him mine was little better and sorta wished him to have called. Hehe.

A little later, our table was collapsed and I was moved to table 3. I got an A5 suited and went all-in, where everybody folded. When asked why, I said I needed ante and blind money. Antes at this point were 50 and blinds were 200-400. Right after this, a big drama was happening on the other remaining table. One guy limped in with pocket deuces. And the flop tripped his deuces. He bet 2000, and next guy pushes all-in, so does another, and so does another. Pocked deuces dude also calls all-in. He shows his trips, another has pair Aces with a high kicker, other guy has a nut flush draw, other guy just mucks his hand. Turn is a rag and everyone gasps again. River is 2 and the table goes insane. This dude just eliminated 3 guys with quad 2s. That was an amazing hand and one that he, and the other players will not soon forget. I was transfered to this table right before I was big blind on my current table.

I got an AK offsuit which I limped in with another guy who was the big blind. Flop misses me completely and I check. Flop is a 10 and the other guy bets 400. I push all-in and he calls. He shows his A10 and I show mine. River is a 9 and I leave at 15th position out of 68. This was by far my best finish in a tournament. I could've stayed about 6 places longer and finished in the money but could not forgive myself for folding the best hand I got the entire night. Just as well I guess.

Losing was not as bad because my girlfriend was there to cheer me up and tell me to look on the bright side on my better finish. I will definitely come back next week and play more aggressively and hopefully fare better. Will let you all know what happens when it happens.

Peace out and good luck to your games!

1 Comments:

At 12:07 PM, Blogger GameFrog said...

Not bad bro! Very near the final table. I read through your plays and they were pretty much correct. The only thing I would change would be:

1. Blind steal more in the later stages especially when short stacked. I can't believe someone would ask you WHY...

2. AK is the 2nd absolute best hand in NL poker next to AA. It is better then KK for me. No I am not losing my mind as I know KK vs AK will wipe AK out 75% of the time. But it is so strong in the sense that it is so EASY TO FOLD. When you hit nothing on the flop you can easily fold your way out of losing your entire stack. Given the situation that you felt the guy was on a bluff merited an all-in but being that close to the final table I would way it very carefully and pick a better spot.

Overall very well done! Here's to getting ITM next time.

If you need more tips check out my blog. I have done fabulous lately on tournaments online

 

Post a Comment

<< Home