Thursday, August 03, 2006

Just for kicks

I tried my hand yesterday at a little cash game action over at the ACF to test some of the new tips I learned reading online and conversing with a good player I found online. His blog is on the side if anyone is interested [Poker Pond].

I arrived relatively late, around 10:10 with my girlfriend and I promised her that I would only spend 1000 because I did not want to stay there for a long time. Luckily, a seat just opened when I arrived and I changed chips early. I was notified by a floor manager that 2000 was the minimum buy-in, so I reluctantly changed another thousand. When I sat on the table, I placed the thousand on the side to make sure I wouldnt use it.

I was going to play with goals in mind tonight, and hopefully, everytime I play. I was going to get up when:
  • I doubled my starting stack (which was only a thousand)
  • My starting stack dwindles down to a thousand
  • The time reaches 11:30 PM
I was going to be strict with this guidelines and wanted to make sure to follow them. Also I tried to only play the top 10 starting hands. Playing meant that I would reraise them or whatever. I would still play suited cards, especially those with faces. All these thanks to Mr. Poker Pond

A nice hand I got was a pair of Kings. Being the dealer button helped, with everyone limping in with 40. I immediately bet 300 at the pot and everyone folded. In the back of my mind I would've wanted some callers, but a small pot is better than no pot at all.

Another nice hand I got was an AK offsuit. A guy before me bet 160 and I reraised to 320. He called. Flop came out 2-4-Q. Being aggressive preflop, I had to continue the trend with another 300 bet, which the other guy called again. Turn came out 3. I just checked to see what the guy had. He also checked. River came out a 5! I hit the straight! I hit the straight! I hit the friggin straight! I bet 600, and the other guy folded. I just showed my Ace, and mucked the other card. He apparently was holding pair of Kings. I got so lucky and probably bet good that made him think I got pocket Aces or something. People were wondering why he folded because he held cowboys, and everybody else said that I showed my Ace. A guy I regularly play with looked at me and smiled, almost as if telling me. "You lucky somamamabitch!".

The whole night was me basically betting at the pot and everyone folding. I remember holding just suited cards and the flop came out 4-4-8. I bet 300 after everyone checked and won the pot. I held a KJ offsuit and bet 220. One guy stayed and the flop came out 10-6-3. Other guy checks and I bet 220 again. He folds and Im happy. This was almost my entire night, just betting at the pot confidently, and betting the pot value, no post oak bluffs to think I was just stealing the blinds. I also respected other players big bets and folded when I knew I could not improve my hand.

Once my stack reached 3000, it also happened to be 1130, I headed out feeling great. I set out with my goal of when to leave and what hands to play and did them all effectively. Thanks to all my reading and help from poker pro Mr Poker Pond! Will update you guys again the next time I play.

Peace out and good luck to your games as well!

1 Comments:

At 9:24 PM, Blogger GameFrog said...

Good to hear bro. That's the simplest strategy of all, set a win and lose cap and stick with it. It prevents tilt and allows you to consistently win.

A few other things:

its a good thing the KK guy was a weak player. Preflop with a reraise I would go ahead and put you all-in. On the flop when you bet out I would put you all-in. No way was I checking the turn with a Q high and let you draw for free. He did fold correctly at the river though.

Finally, switch your aggressive moves when you have the nuts. The skill there now is to be able to figure out the maximum bet you can place and have the other player call. If you made a small 200ish bet at the river he would either call or raise sensing weakness. that's when you can trap him for all his chips.

Overall very well done!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home